10 different ways to get active!
- Become a member of The Freedom Project. Go to the DONATE page and get on board!
- Start a conversation with someone about the issue. Bring it into the open and make it a topic of discussion amongst your family and friends.
- Write to your local politician. Making our local and national politicians aware of the problem in our own city and across the globe brings slavery into the open. And puts pressure on them to act. Speak to your local member about what they are doing about this issue in our very own suburbs.
- Post a comment on Facebook. Keep the dialogue going with quotes from books, facts you’ve discovered, thoughts you have about slavery and trafficking. Stir up interest and get it on people’s agendas. Be an advocate for The Freedom Project online!
- Organise your own fundraiser. Get creative…Gather your friends and family and have some fun – raise awareness and money at the same time!
Ideas for fundraisers include, cake stalls, jelly bean guessing competition, car wash, movie/dvd nights, walk-a-thon, fun run, trivia night, raffles, mufti days, karaoke party, hold a dinner party, a lunch, a picnic, sell some artwork, jewellery making, gingerbread house event, sausage sizzle….
- Buy Fair Trade Products and take seriously consumer awareness and buying. Go to the SLAVERY page and read about what fair trade is all about.
- Educate yourself. Get yourself equipped and savvy about the issues of slavery and trafficking. See our resource list.
- Start a book group at school, uni or amongst your friends. Read one of the books from the resource list and meet together to discuss it. Watch a movie/dvd together. Journey together as you learn and grow in your understanding of slavery and trafficking.
- Volunteer. Contact us to see what opportunities there are to volunteer. We need passionate, creative, people to carry The Freedom Project forward.
- Pray: Pray on your own, or with friends. Start a prayer group at school, or church or amongst your friends. Put the issue in the prayer bulletin at your church.
Who and what to pray for:
- Pray for the victims of trafficking and slavery – for safety, release and rescue from captors, peace, strength, courage, salvation, forgiveness, healing and healthy rehabilitation and job training.
- Pray for the victims families – for income generation, peace, courage, support, salvation, safety. Pray for the traffickers and slave owners – for conviction of their sin, plans to be confused and thwarted, for criminal convictions that lead to justice, the closure of brothels, repentance and salvation.
- Pray for the organisations who are working all over the world to fight this evil – for wisdom, courage, protection resources and safety, success with trials and convictions of traffickers and slave owners. Pray for governments and government bodies with power to change laws.
- Pray for The Freedom Project – for wisdom, resources, courage, great partnerships, effectiveness, growing membership.
- Pray against the strongholds of evil that manifest in slavery and trafficking.
- Pray against apathy, tolerance and indifference within us – that it would be exchanged with passion and outrage and courage so we can be used in this battle for God’s glory.